Almost 900 meters above the Swabian Jura and defended with towers and battlements, Hohenzollern Castle is the ancient seat of the Prussian King and Princes of Hohenzollern. The castle remains proudly as a monument to its former occupants.
The King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, was known as somewhat of a Romanticist while he was on the throne. He had a passion for the aesthetic arts and a romantically sentimental attachment to the Middle Ages.
And it is perhaps for this reason that he commissioned Friedrich August Stüler, a leading architect in Berlin at the time, to recreate the ruins of the castle where his forefathers formerly inhabited. He brought the overarching ideal picture of a medieval knight’s castle to reality; the structure may have been a little bit behind the times, but it is nonetheless majestic and incredibly beautiful to this day.
In the year 1852, the foundation stone was placed, and by the year 1867, the rehabilitation project was finally finished. The castle is comprised of a total of 140 rooms, the most notable of which are the King’s bed chamber, the family tree room, the Blue Salon, and the Queen’s room.
The library is particularly notable for the amazing murals that adorn its walls. The exquisite interior design has a magnificent marquetry floor, a gold coffered ceiling, and paintings of Prussian royal families. And for those who don’t give a hoot about traditional monarchical values, the castle’s very own brewery produces its very own brand of beer, which they name PREUSSENS.